Bruce and I are traditionalist but with a twist. We like to try different recipes and make them ours. We started this early on in our relationship. The Apple Cranberry Crisp Recipe became our version of cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. We’ve never been big fans of cranberry just on it’s own. This recipe you see at our Thanksgiving dinner some years.
Apple Cranberry Crisp Recipe
- 1-1/2 cup Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 16 oz can Cranberry Sauce
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 5 Granny Smith Apples (Peeled, Cored and Thinly Sliced)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Stir in the melted shortening and water to form a crumbly mixture.
- In a large saucepan, mix together the cranberry sauce and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat. Stir in the apples. Spread into an 8×8 inch glass baking dish. Crumble the oat mixture over the apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Serve warm.